Monday, January 31, 2011

hello there placement...

so i decided to email my placement assessment assistant last night to see if there was any new information she could give me on the status of my file. it's only been two weeks since they asked for an updated resume so i knew this was a long shot... in essence, i told her the predicament i am currently in, having just been offered an awesome job but unsure whether to accept it or not being that i could be leaving as early as april (but as late as ...). her response is what you might expect: 

Congratulations on your job offer!  I hope all is well otherwise.  I am very sorry but I cannot offer much guidance for you at this point.  We are doing our best to contact everyone, and I will note your predicament in your file.  If you would like to, I could potentially move your availability date back to past June, and then you might be able to pursue both this opportunity, and Peace Corps.  However, if your preference is to get started with PC as soon as possible, I hate to say that I cannot give you any idea of what is in store for you at this point.  If you did want to change your availability, let me know as soon as you can, and I will update your file.  Keep in mind that if you say June 15, 2011, that means that we will consider you for any programs AFTER that date, and that will not mean you will leave in June, but may leave a few months after that.  Thanks for your enthusiasm for Peace Corps and best of luck in making this difficult decision.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

"ahhh. no i don't want to change my availability!!!", i responded (in a much more refined manner) just a few minutes later...bleh. i understand she wasn't going to tell me some new, earth-shattering information on my status, but nothing at all?? not even a clue? i'm just a little deflated. i know some people have had luck contacting placement and getting at least a morsel of information. i was not as lucky... this process would just be so much easier if i had the slightest idea of an end date to this perpetual waiting...i sense a bad bout of RAS coming on...

1 comment:

  1. reads very similar to an email response i received. i had some of the same concerns as you do. my attempt to get an estimate on when i would have a final decision got me nowhere either. in my case, i opted to change my availability and take the risk all the while hoping things will work out in the end. best wishes...and patience!

    ReplyDelete